GIS in the Rockies (GISITR) is a non-profit organization most well-known for the annual GIS in the Rockies Conference, the Rocky Mountain West’s premier geospatial information and technology conference. GISITR is pleased to announce a new scholarship program designed to encourage and support student research and education through the completion of geospatial science projects. GISITR wishes to offer scholarships annually to deserving undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in educational institutions within the Rocky Mountain West, including the states of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico.
GISITR wishes to award two scholarships in 2017 to students studying in the field of geospatial science:
• One $800 undergraduate scholarship
• One $800 graduate scholarship
The deadline to submit a completed application is 11:59PM MDT, June 21, 2017.
• The applicant must be an undergraduate or graduate student currently enrolled and in good standing at an accredited 2 or 4-year educational institution within the Rocky Mountain West. Students enrolled in online programs are eligible.
• The applicant must be enrolled full-time or equivalent.
• The applicant must have completed at least one session (semester or quarter) of coursework at an accredited 2 or 4-year educational institution before the application submission deadline of June 21, 2017.
•The applicant must have at least one session (semester or quarter) of coursework or research remaining before graduation as of the application submission deadline of June 21, 2017.
• The applicant’s coursework or research must be in GIS, Remote Sensing, GPS, or another geospatial science discipline.
• The applicant must submit a completed application using the online form available here. The application includes the following required components:
• An up to 250-word abstract describing the applicant’s project or research. The abstract shall be suitable as a talk at the GISITR Conference held September 20-21, 2017. Abstracts submitted as part of the scholarship application may have co-authors, but only the primary author is evaluated and eligible for a scholarship award and complimentary conference registration.
• A list of future subjects/courses the applicant is planning to take pertaining to geospatial science.
• A list of academic honors, awards, community service, and volunteer work.
• A brief explanation of how the scholarship will further the applicant’s research and education (i.e., how the scholarship award money will be used).
• A complete transcript that includes current grade point average (GPA); unofficial copies are acceptable. PDF format only.
• The applicant must have one teacher or faculty member submit a letter of recommendation. Instructions for submitting the letter of recommendation are available within the online submission form. PDF format only.
• Scholarship recipients must present a talk at the GISITR Conference held September 20-21, 2017 in Denver, Colorado.
• Scholarship recipients will receive complimentary full registration to the 2017 GISITR Conference (a $100 value per recipient).
• Scholarship recipients shall be responsible for all travel and lodging arrangements to attend the 2017 GISITR Conference, including all associated costs.
• All submitted files must have filenames containing the applicant’s last name and must be in PDF format. File size limited to 10 MB.
• Scholarships will be awarded based on academic merit, not on financial need.
• Members of the GISITR Board of Directors and Planning Committee are not eligible to receive a scholarship award.
Online application is available here: GIS in the Rockies Scholarship Application
• The deadline for submitting a completed application is 11:59PM MDT, June 21, 2017.
• Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
• The GISITR Board of Directors will evaluate all applications and select recipients based only on the information provided in the application. All decisions made by the GISITR Board of Directors are final.
• Scholarship recipients will be notified by July 31, 2017.
• Scholarship recipients will be announced on the GISITR website and social media.
• Scholarship recipients will be announced and the awards presented at the GISITR Conference held September 20-21, 2017.
For a detailed outline of the Scoring Criteria, please download the PDF file GIS in the Rockies Scholarship Program Requirements.
Note: All scholarship applicants are welcome to submit an abstract to the GISITR Conference even if not selected for a scholarship award. Student registration is only $50/day. If you know that you want to present at the conference, please submit your abstract at http://gisintherockies.org/abstract-submission. We would love for you to present your work!
Contact us at email@example.com with any questions or comments you have regarding this scholarship program.